> Navionics, a Garmin Brand
Established in 1984, in Viareggio, Navionics®, a Garmin® Ltd. Brand, produces electronic charts for the leisure boating market.
We were born from a revolutionary idea: the world’s first electronic chart display, or chartplotter. Now we use location services every day on our mobile devices, and maybe even take them for granted. But, think about it: how pioneering is that? This state of mind is what Navionics® is founded on and our focus for future goals.
We want to expand as the global leader in marine content and location-based services built on innovation derived from our lifestyle appreciation, digital expertise and crowdsourcing. Our cartography is available to boaters for use in GPS chartplotters, and within our app for Apple® and Android™ devices.
Our head office is based in Massarosa, Tuscany, a lovely area easily accessible to cities of art, beaches and mountains but Navionics also has offices in the U.S. in Dartmouth, Massachusetts and Hyderabad, India.
> Navionics at a glance
• Garmin® + Navionics®: a win for every user, the best of both worlds!
• First company using GPS for recreational purposes
• The world’s largest cartography database which includes oceans, seas, rivers and more than 38,000 lakes
• A multinational company
• Team work across Italy, US and India by talented and enthusiastic individuals contributing to the company’s success.
• People make the difference
We are a team of professionals who work together with passion to market leading, intuitive and innovative products. Each associate is fully committed to serving customers and fellow associates through outstanding performance and accomplishing what we say we will do.
> Here’s the benefits for Navionics’associates:
• Opportunities to never stop learning – if you want to
• This is the beginning of your career. We offer development opportunities
• You matter. We offer competitive wages, above industry standards benefits and perks
• We care. We offer several programs to promote associate’s health and wellbeing
• Engagement. Team-building initiatives are carried out throughout the year
• Testing is done the fun way – on the water, on our boat, with our devices!
> Opportunities for University students
• Graduate program
• Curricular and extra-curricular internships
Escape the ordinary
Maritime navigation through maps technologies
14 giugno 17:00
Since maritime navigation across the globe requires nautical charts, we need to represent the world in two dimensions. We can use many different projections to flatten the world, and Mercator is the most common in marine navigation.
The purpose of this talk will be to address world representation and map digitalization processes used in modern and technologically advanced companies. Today’s map cartography needs to be easily accessible from users across the world on a significant multitude of different devices. Therefore 3d modelling and vertical data resolution technologies shall allow that cartography content can be readily available.
We will explain the differences between vectorial and raster maps and how in Navionics we use them.
We will also illustrate and demonstrate drawing of cartography content through overlapping layers and how, in Navionics, we address safety constraints specific to the Marine domain while also preventing data cluttering. We will expose the complexity of digital map distribution systems in Multiplatform environments (web, mobile, and embedded) and the caching and optimization techniques adopted to improve the user experience.
Relatore: Raul Pra Levis – SW Manager – Cartography Engineering